After bacteria infected produce made it into the market, the economic impact to growers was significant. To improve food safety and ensure to consumers of quality products, a consortium was formed to run audits of growers and handlers.
M Corp’s approach transformed the way schedules, data capture, outcomes, and data access of audits were available.
To improve data capture and the workflow of audit findings, the consortium turned to M Corp to develop a fully integrated web based solution, placing them on a path to improved capture of data and reporting of results.
Throughout the growing season, more than 300 Food Handlers must be audited multiple times to ensure that they are in compliance with food and safety practices. The program, only in existence for a year, had recognized some opportunities to increase efficiencies:
- Some handlers were being over-audited while others were not being audited at all
- Lack of scheduling tool for supervisors and auditors was causing a strain between auditors and industry
- Audits were being transcribed to electronic documents that required email and fax for transmittal
- No ability to track status on an audit
- Handlers were required to build their own corrective action plans
- Workflow was manual
- No ability to track verification audits and follow-up activities
- Relationships between the Handlers and Growers could not be tracked
- No ability for government agencies to access audit data
Fundamentally, the challenges to starting up a program resulted in some disconnected processes and inability to best leverage the data being collected.
M Corp’s approach transformed the way schedules, data capture, outcomes, and data access of audits were available. This process focused on candid, compliant reporting and traceability with the USDA food and safety practices.
M Corp’s solution approach included:
- Business modeling – capturing rules, requirements, and workflows
- MOTS software solution – we chose a MOTS approach to maximize value
- Change management – working with client’s teams, M Corp developed a complete transition management plan to ensure adoption and ease of transition
With the solution mapped, the customer and M Corp team moved forward to implement a fully automated workflow solution with structured forms that would capture accurate data and provide a robust platform:
- Developed a detailed requirements package that captured all business rules linked to use cases driven by audit field staff and industry partners
- Configured and deployed a business driven MOTS solution that featured:
- Rules driven data capture forms
- Electronic scheduling
- Standard and ad-hoc reporting
- Workflow manages and tracks all activities
- Browser and mobile device user access to the system
- Centrally stored results and historical data
The work resulted in the implementation of a fully functioning and transformative technology solution:
- Systemic transformation of operating model
- Automated notification of audit reports and findings to handlers and growers
- Fully documented outcomes and findings
- Complete data capture
- Secure data and viewing
- Tracking of correction action plans and secondary audits
- Self service reporting